Tuesday 1 March 2011

First Post - Intro to my blog

So, seeing as though this is my first post I thought I would tell you all that about myself and why I am doing this.
My name is Jonathan, and I am in my 4th year of a commerce/law degree. My majors are Finance and economics.
As you may have guessed from the title of my blog I am feeling a little disheartened with the level of knowledge and skills I have attained thus far from my studies.
I feel that as students, particularly in the disciplines of business or law, we are being trained to think ‘’inside the box’’, and any spirit of individuality, creativity, or entrepreneurship is not encouraged.
I believe strongly that in order to be successful in business, or in life, the ability to innovate and find creative solutions to problems is essential, but these skills are not taught, or emphasised at uni.
I also believe that there is a lack of applicable knowledge being taught. One of my main interests is trading shares and derivatives, and most of the knowledge I have has been self taught, through books, journal articles and the web. My uni studies have been useful in understanding concepts, but the concepts themselves have been foreign.
This frustration has led me to look elsewhere for the information I want.
This blog is going to document my journey through finance and business, particularly trading.
I will be documenting things I have learnt, articles I find interesting, and show my successes and failures (hopefully more of the former than latter) in share and derivative trading.
I plan on updating at least every second day, so feel free to come back and check me out again.
Any comments or feedback is highly appreciated!

Cheers



8 comments:

  1. Looking forward to it, very philosophical..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, just started here today myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting stuff. My family has made a good amount of money (over a long period of time, mind) through stocks & shares. It's something I'm interested in dabbling with, for sure.

    You should post a beginner's guide :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to blogging and good luck in school!

    ReplyDelete
  5. don't be disheartened! just outsource your work

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a quote.

    Don't let school get in the way of your education.

    Remember, there are somethings that people in power don't want you to know, you must seek them out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like a good premise for a blog. i'm eagerly awaiting your posts!

    ReplyDelete